Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Canning Adventure

Yesterday Little Robby and I embarked upon an adventure together. We had gotten to the point that we had more tomatoes and cucumbers from our garden than we could eat before they spoiled. As a family we decided that it would be good to make something that we could use for a long time, so we decided to make salsa and pickles. I bought a variety of peppers and an onion, and Little Robby and I learned all about canning.

When we got started, I read the recipes and thought that I would be able to make and jar the salsa and pickles in about 3 hours. 7 hours and three trips to Walmart later, I was the proud creator of 7 pints of salsa, 10 pints of refrigerator pickle, and one nightmare of a kitchen mess. The stuff I made turned out pretty good (although I don't expect any blue ribbons for my efforts).

Here is my diligent chopper boy. We were really glad to use our electric chopper (that collects dust most days in my cabinent). Robby did a great job preparing most of the veggies for the salsa.
Here is our simmering pot of salsa. I used a hot water bath canner to seal the jars of salsa. I had never done that before and I have to say I was grateful that I was able to chit chat with one sweet grandma while shopping on the canning isle at Wal-mart who gave me a couple tips that came in very handy. (One was not to use iodized salt because it will cause the pickles to change color - I was thankful she said that because we probably would have thought I had ruined them. Instead I went and bought a new container of non-iodized salt.) I was also equally grateful that I was able to get a hold of an experienced food storage person in our ward. She saved me from putting my jars directly in the boiling water (they might have busted.) I guess I never picked up on the fact that the jars go in the water first and then you set the pot to boil in the 3 the canning classes I have attended. Luckily for her advice I didn't loose all my hard work!

And here you see some of the results of our efforts.