Monday, July 16, 2007

Summer Vacation 2007: Space Center Houston (NASA)

During our stay with my parents we had a great time going to NASA's Space Center Houston. Little Robby has always been fascinated with space travel, so we have always wanted to take him here. I was glad to finally have that opportunity on this trip.
We really enjoyed seeing all of the NASA artifacts on display. Here we see Robby in front of one of the Apollo capsules. As a kid, I don't think I fully appreciated the personal risk these early astronauts took. I can't imagine being sealed in a very confined capsule and attached to enormous rockets and blasted into space. Wow! I think they had a lot of courage. I realize people still travel into space today, but I don't think I would have wanted to be one of the first.

While at the museum, Jenna found her own ways of amusing herself by swinging like a little monkey.

Okay, so he's not looking at the camera, but I wanted to post this one because I think it is really cool that he has his hand on a piece of moon rock. Where else can you actually touch the moon?!

This picture and the next one are of all of us riding on the tram to go and see the Astronaut Training Facility and the Saturn V Rocket.

Jenna really like riding the tram and kept saying, "Weeeee!"

Little Robby, Grandma, and Grandpa are standing in front of the window overlooking the Astronaut Training Facility. Behind them you can see some of the life-sized models they use to practice their missions here on earth.

We are standing in front of the Saturn V Rocket. This was the biggest rocket that NASA has used up to this date. It was used to launch the Apollo and Skylab missions. How would you like to be strapped onto the top of that thing?!